Exploring Chateau de Biron through the Centuries
Seat of one of the four Périgord baronies, Chateau de Biron occupies a strategic position on the borders of Périgord and Agenais not far from the fortified town of Monpazier. Its history is linked to the greatness of one family – the Gontaut-Birons – who held the barony from the Middle Ages (11th century) for eight centuries until. In 1938 the Marquis of Biron was ruined and obliged to sell his chateau.
Today the castle belongs to the département of the Dordogne and is listed among the Major Sites of Aquitaine and as an Historical Monument. Together the buildings present a diversity and accumulation of styles of architecture which still bear witness to the former glory of this family of valiant soldiers and powerful lords who found favour with many kings.
Every century from the 12th to the 18th has left an imprint of the changing fortunes of this monumental building: 12th- century keep, two-storey chapel, Renaissance apartments, impressive vaulted kitchens, State chambers…
Delve into the Heart of History
- 1 Access to the Chateau through the Caretaker’s Lodge
- 2 Ticket Office – Loggia
- 3 Chapel of the Seigneurs
- 4 Departure point for visits and activities (lower court)
- 5 Collector’s Tower: DISCOVERY WORKSHOPS space
- 6 Panoramic Terrace
- 7 Renaissance Principal Building
- 8 Cours d'honneur
- 9 18th-century Chateau
- 10 The Marshals’ Building, EXHIBITION HALL, Great Kitchen
- 11 St-Pierre Tower, Renaissance Frescoes
Discovering Contemporary Art
Chateau de Biron provides one of the Dordogne’s principal contemporary art exhibition spaces. During the summer of 2018, Damien Cabanes’ work is on show in an exhibition entitled “Is it Possible to Draw a Colour?” (closing date: 4 November 2018).
The artist uses colour to express his vision of the world, of human beings and landscapes. The exhibition comprises 18 paintings, one piece of installation art and 14 sculptures presented around 4 themes:
- Rural landscapes and interiors of the studio
- The mysterious presence of animals
- Pictorial expression and pure manifestations of painting